A community leader empowering people to achieve fulfilling lives.
Help our New American Program resettle refugees in Western Massachusetts!
Jewish Family Service of Western Massachusetts provides exceptional social services, grounded in Jewish values, to support individuals and families from diverse religious, cultural and economic backgrounds.
Our programs strengthen our community by strengthening the individual–from resettling refugee families, to supporting New Americans to become self-sufficient, counseling young adults through life’s transitions, equipping older adults to age well, protecting elders from abuse, leading caregiver support groups, and helping individuals enhance their Jewish connections.
Enriching the quality of life for individuals in the Jewish community of Western Massachusetts.
Serving the unique needs of older adults, their families, and/or caregivers.
Supporting individual and family resilience.
Helping refugees resettle and thrive in our community.
Citizenship & Immigration
Assisting immigrants and refugees to become US Citizens.
Engaging community members, offering internships, and placement for AmeriCorps staff, to help our newest neighbors succeed.
Updates from our New American Program & How You Can Help!
ESL Group Adds Experiential Learning
Afghan women in the Berkshires added experiential learning to their ESL curriculum this summer. In partnership with Berkshire Community College and instructor Becky Meier, they visited a series of cultural and natural attractions around Berkshire County and beyond. Outings included hiking at Canoe Meadows, shopping for clothing and Indian Food in Albany, a picnic lunch and swimming at Onota Lake, a historical tour of The Norman Rockwell Museum, visiting Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory, making candles at the Yankee Candle Factory, and a day at the top of Mount Greylock! These excursions gave the women a chance to connect with each other and their new surroundings. Children often accompanied their mothers, and everyone had a great time!
Are you a Community Provider working with Afghan patients or clients? Visit our JFS Youtube Channel to access recordings from our Afghan Cultural Orientation Series, including sessions for Mental & Behavioral Health, General Physical Health, Maternal & Early Childhood Health, Primary Education, Secondary Education, Social Services & Emergency Response, and Community Engagement providers. Presentations are each an hour long, followed by a Q&A to learn best practices to use with our new Afghan neighbors.
How You Can Help
Help Welcome New Refugees
- Help us replenish our supplies by purchasing items from our WISHLIST. Please designate delivery to JFS, 15 Lenox Street, Springfield, MA 01108, and add a gift receipt so that we can thank you! If you have any questions, contact Dana Lanoue at email@example.com, or call (413) 737-2601.
- We are looking for additional musical instruments for Ukrainian families. If you have a violin, cello, flute, accordion, bayan, or other musical instruments that you can donate, please contact Dana Lanoue at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sign up to Volunteer! As we expand our programming, more support from the community is needed to help newly arriving refugee families! Click here to find a volunteer opportunity to fit your interests and schedule.
- Welcome refugees as a Faith-Based Group or Team. Host Organization Support Teams (HOSTs) organize to welcome and support newly arrived refugees. To learn more, click here.
- We are seeking pro bono legal assistance to help our new clients become asylees.