A community leader empowering people to achieve fulfilling lives.
We urgently need your help now to support Afghan Evacuees coming to Western Massachusetts!
Jewish Family Service of Western Massachusetts provides exceptional social services, grounded in Jewish values, to support individuals and families from diverse religious, cultural and economic backgrounds.
Our programs strengthen our community by strengthening the individual–from resettling refugee families, to supporting New Americans to become self-sufficient, counseling young adults through life’s transitions, equipping older adults to age well, protecting elders from abuse, leading caregiver support groups, and helping individuals enhance their Jewish connections.
Enriching the quality of life for individuals in the Jewish community of Western Massachusetts.
Serving the unique needs of older adults, their families, and/or caregivers.
Supporting individual and family resilience.
Helping refugees resettle and thrive in our community.
Citizenship & Immigration
Assisting immigrants and refugees to become US Citizens.
Engaging community members, offering internships, and placement for AmeriCorps staff, to help our newest neighbors succeed.
Help Us Prepare to Meet the Needs of Afghan Evacuees!
The State of Massachusetts is imminently expecting to formally welcome 1,000 people coming from Afghanistan. Here at JFS we are expecting to receive 150 evacuees, including a group of 60 who we anticipate resettling in Pittsfield.
Unlike Afghans arriving with Special Immigrant Visas*, these evacuees (also referred to as Humanitarian Parolees) are not eligible for the same services and public benefits as refugees, and will need our immediate help with housing, food, and employment.
*SIVs are issued specifically to at risk individuals who worked with the U.S. Armed Forces or under Chief of Mission authority as a translator or interpreter in Afghanistan.
We hope that a proposal being presented to the Governor’s office will help provide funds for this work, but in the meantime we need your support!
Please help us welcome Afghan Evacuees by making a generous donation to JFS. Your donations will go directly to assist Afghan evacuees joining our community.
JFS Distributed COVID Relief Funds to 148 Immigrant Households
Psycho-Social Support Group for Nepali-Speaking Bhutanese Community Helps Foster Connections
JFS Offers a Free Tag Sale for Refugee Families
How You Can Help
Help Welcome Afghan Evacuees
- Help us fill our storerooms by purchasing items from our WISHLIST. Please designate delivery to JFS, 15 Lenox Street, Springfield, MA 01108, and add a gift receipt so that we can thank you! If you have any questions, contact Evan Bixby at email@example.com, or call (413) 737-2601.
- Housing is a primary focus. We are looking for affordable apartments, Airbnb or vacation homes, accessory dwelling units, and are even considering hosts that are willing to cohost a family in their homes.
- Volunteer to help evacuees and SIVs successfully acclimate to their new community. If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out an application here.
- We are seeking pro bono legal assistance to help our new clients become asylees.
- Help us expand our outreach to potential donors. Direct your neighbors and friends looking for ways to respond to the humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan to our website, and share our Facebook posts.