A community leader empowering people to achieve fulfilling lives.
We urgently need your help now to support Afghan Evacuees coming to Western Massachusetts!
Jewish Family Service of Western Massachusetts provides exceptional social services, grounded in Jewish values, to support individuals and families from diverse religious, cultural and economic backgrounds.
Our programs strengthen our community by strengthening the individual–from resettling refugee families, to supporting New Americans to become self-sufficient, counseling young adults through life’s transitions, equipping older adults to age well, protecting elders from abuse, leading caregiver support groups, and helping individuals enhance their Jewish connections.
Enriching the quality of life for individuals in the Jewish community of Western Massachusetts.
Serving the unique needs of older adults, their families, and/or caregivers.
Supporting individual and family resilience.
Helping refugees resettle and thrive in our community.
Citizenship & Immigration
Assisting immigrants and refugees to become US Citizens.
Engaging community members, offering internships, and placement for AmeriCorps staff, to help our newest neighbors succeed.
Please help us welcome Afghan Evacuees by making a generous donation to JFS to our New American Program!
Click here to donate to JFS, and add a note that you want your donation to go directly to help resettle incoming Afghan evacuees.
Afghan Evacuees Begin to Arrive in Western Mass!
- If you are in the Springfield area and can volunteer in person to help our case managers for a full day at least once a week, we need your help! Volunteers will drive families to medical appointments, grocery stores, laundromats, and help with other assigned tasks that can add capacity to our team. Please email Sara Bedford if you are able to help in Springfield once per week for a minimum of 8 weeks. Flexibility, good humor, and willingness to learn in a fast paced environment are a must for volunteers in this role.
- Please continue to donate items from our Amazon Wishlist. You are making a huge impact through donating these items! It is updated every few days with the latest needs from the team – both general items for new families, and specific items needed by particular individuals and families.
- We are low on dressers and kitchen chairs. If you have new or gently used furniture to donate, please write to Massara Almafrachi with a picture of the items to be donated and she will connect you with our in-kind donation team. We prefer items either to be dropped to us in Springfield or items close by that we can pick up. Some community members have come together with neighbors to rent a truck to drive items to us after getting the green light. Thank you for your creative thinking!
- Come join us to sort donations on Tuesday afternoon and Thursday morning. We are also adding a day on Friday for in kind donation sorting! Join us by applying to volunteer on our website, or reach out to Massara Almafrachi.
- Join our apartment set up crew to help clean apartments, move furniture, and set up items in apartments for refugees and Afghans. We need a hard workers that will be up for joining us when opportunities arise to come and chip in for a day or half day. Fill out our online application or contact Massara Almafrachi to be added to the list.
Thank You to Our Local Area HOST Groups!
Are You Caring for a Parent, Spouse or Loved One? Join One of our Caregiver Support Groups!
How You Can Help
Help Welcome Afghan Evacuees
- Help us fill our storerooms by purchasing items from our WISHLIST. Please designate delivery to JFS, 15 Lenox Street, Springfield, MA 01108, and add a gift receipt so that we can thank you! If you have any questions, contact Evan Bixby at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (413) 737-2601.
- Housing is a primary focus. We are looking for affordable apartments, Airbnb or vacation homes, accessory dwelling units, and are even considering hosts that are willing to cohost a family in their homes.
- Volunteer to help evacuees and SIVs successfully acclimate to their new community. If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out an application here.
- Welcome Afghans as a Faith-Based Group or Team. Host Organization Support Teams (HOSTs) organize to welcome and support newly arrived Afghan evacuees. To learn more, click here.
- We are seeking pro bono legal assistance to help our new clients become asylees.
- Help us expand our outreach to potential donors. Direct your neighbors and friends looking for ways to respond to the humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan to our website, and share our Facebook posts.