A community leader empowering people to achieve fulfilling lives.
Help our New American Program resettle refugees in Western Massachusetts!
Jewish Family Service of Western Massachusetts provides exceptional social services, grounded in Jewish values, to support individuals and families from diverse religious, cultural and economic backgrounds.
Our programs strengthen our community by strengthening the individual–from resettling refugee families, to supporting New Americans to become self-sufficient, counseling young adults through life’s transitions, equipping older adults to age well, protecting elders from abuse, leading caregiver support groups, and helping individuals enhance their Jewish connections.
Enriching the quality of life for individuals in the Jewish community of Western Massachusetts.
Serving the unique needs of older adults, their families, and/or caregivers.
Supporting individual and family resilience.
Helping refugees resettle and thrive in our community.
Citizenship & Immigration
Assisting immigrants and refugees to become US Citizens.
Engaging community members, offering internships, and placement for AmeriCorps staff, to help our newest neighbors succeed.
Announcing Our New Welcome Center
Update on Afghan and Refugee Resettlement!
Refugee resettlement is also picking up, with a Congolese family including an elderly grandmother and a Syrian family of 6 arriving in February and March. JFS has also assisted several Haitian Humanitarian Parolees this winter to resettle in the Springfield area. We stand ready to help with any Ukrainian resettlement efforts that make it possible for Ukrainian families to seek safety in our communities.
YOU Make What We Do Possible!
We continue to be overwhelmed by the generosity of our volunteers, HOSTs, donors, and partners as we continue through this busy year. Thank you to everyone playing a part! We are seeing the results of everyone’s hard work and generosity – evacuees and refugees getting jobs, learning English, kids starting school, parents learning public transportation, and families having fun and adapting to life in Western Mass. THANK YOU!
If you are looking to give items or spread the word about what’s needed, you can always check out our Amazon Wishlist for our latest needs. If you’re looking to donate In Kind items, you can simply submit a request online and our team will get back to you about your donation!
JFS is urgently seeking volunteers to help with:
- Soccer volunteers to assist Soccer without Border Coaches from 9am-1pm, June 25-28. There will be a couple of mandatory trainings before Camp begins. College kids home for the summer welcome to apply!
- Client transportation each day during Soccer without Borders Summer Camp, at 8am and 1pm.
- Drivers in Springfield to our Afghan Women’s Group and child minder’s for the group from 10am-1pm, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Contact Evan Bixby if you can help!
Are You Caring for a Parent, Spouse or Loved One? Join One of our Caregiver Support Groups!
JFS is pleased to present a series of seven online Afghan Cultural Orientation sessions for community providers, May 5 – June 16. Join us as we learn together the best practices to use with our new Afghan neighbors. Each session will be targeted to specific providers, including Mental & Behavioral Health, General Physical Health, Maternal & Early Childhood Health, Primary Education, Secondary Education, Social Services & Emergency Response, and Community Engagement.*Note: Community Engagement date has been moved to Tuesday, May 30th.
The goal of these programs is to provide expanded understanding of Afghan cultures, motivations and family structures to practitioners working with new Afghan neighbors. A nuanced understanding of the Afghans’ experiences, cultures and beliefs will equip practitioners with tools to assist their successful resettlement and integration.
Click here for more information. Registration is required.
How You Can Help
Help Welcome New Refugees
- Help us fill our storerooms by purchasing items from our WISHLIST. Please designate delivery to JFS, 15 Lenox Street, Springfield, MA 01108, and add a gift receipt so that we can thank you! If you have any questions, contact Evan Bixby at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (413) 737-2601.
- Volunteer to help refugees successfully acclimate to their new community. If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out an application here.
- Welcome refugees as a Faith-Based Group or Team. Host Organization Support Teams (HOSTs) organize to welcome and support newly arrived refugees. To learn more, click here.
- We are seeking pro bono legal assistance to help our new clients become asylees.