Presented by the Valley Interfaith Refugee Action Group, and co-sponsored by JFS, this program will include an update on the over 200 Afghan humanitarian parolees resettled by Jewish Family Service of Western Massachusetts, Sunday, October 23rd, 3:00-4:00pm on Zoom.
A panel discussion will follow with Syonara Tomoun, JFS Youth and Adult Learning Coordinator. Syonara will speak about her experience working with the Afghan men, women and children and describe activities designed specifically for them. Two of the Afghans who arrived last year will share the experience of their first year in the United States. Topics they will address include:
- Their experience from the time of arrival in the US until being settled into an apartment or house.
- What has been helpful in their resettlement; what was not helpful; and what additional support/activities would have been helpful or would be helpful now or in the future?
- In terms of everyday life, what has been most challenging? Surprising?
- How they have been able to stay connected with extended family members back in Afghanistan and what has this been like.
- How they see their future here and what are their greatest concerns about the future.
- A question and answer period will follow.
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing your personal link to join the meeting.